Saturday, February 17, 2018

Ben and Brandon and Ballantyne

Saturday morning's workout was another step in my evolution as I continue to stumble through the jungle and muddled world of "what next" with my training. I spent this week with Ben Pakulski and Brandon Lilly (a guy who plans on rowing 100,000 meters in one day!), legends of bodybuilding and powerlifting, respectively, and they both gave me valuable insights/ideas.

Plus, I hurt another muscle (my right calf) while running treadmill intervals on Wednesday morning. Geez louise.

If you've ever watched a video of Ben train, he uses very slow tempos ... like 5-8 second eccentrics (lowering) and 3 seconds in the lifting phase (among many, many training techniques). His workouts don't look that "fun", but they are effective and he has few injuries for a (former) pro bodybuilder.

This influenced me for today's hotel gym lower body workout:

1A) DB Split Squat with a 5-0-2 tempo
1B) Stability Ball Leg Curl
1C) Cable Abs
1D) Eccentric Calf Raise (eccentric-only sets are often recommended by muscle therapists to assist healing)

2A) DB Hip Thrust
2B) DB RDL

Nothing was "pulled" or "tweaked" in this workout.

Now for a few miles of walking over to see my friend, Joel Marion.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
Make a list of 10 important people in your life. Beside each name write 1 thing you can do for them today. Start with the most urgent connection and do this now. Tomorrow, take care of the next. Do this every day until you've gone through your list.

1 comment:

Maxx said...

So stoked! I found Ben Pakulski’s new program (MI40X) here at this link https://goo.gl/GY5AAA