Friday, August 28, 2015

Personal Bests from Pauses and Rests

LOL. Poetry!

Do I ever take a week off from everything?

A Facebook Fan asked that today.

The answer is no. Not everything.

But I think I had 7 days without weights in Europe, and 17 days without heavy weights.

And boy, oh boy, am I feeling extra muscle soreness this week because of it. But I've also set a few interesting personal bests.

Time away from regular training helps, but I'd never spend just 7 days lying on the couch. Even on off weeks I go for long walks, swim, or do some bodyweight circuits, or even mess around in hotel gyms with new machines, light dumbbells with high reps, or cable workouts.

There's no benefit to being a slug, and you lose significant muscle mass and strength within 7-14 days of immobilization. And for some, you lose something even more important => Momentum, discipline, & consistency.

Bottom line: Always be active. But take breaks from repetitive training.

Know your limits. Know when to push them. Know when to break them. Know when to respect them. And when to step it up & set them higher.

Today's workout was another Garage Gym Doozy. There were some caffeine powered personal bests in today's workout. Three cheers for Zevia.

Warm-Up
- WYLIT
- Band Pull
- Pause Pushup
- TRX row

1A) DB Flat Chest Press - 70x14 for a new personal best
1B) Band Pull

2) Max Pushups - 53 ...

3A) DB Flat Chest Press - 3x8
3B) TRX Rows - 3x15-20 ... with a personal best of 20 reps.

4A) DB Incline Press - 3x12
4B) TRX Rows - 3x10-12 ... I wanted to see how I'll feel tomorrow after 6 sets of TRX rows.

NOTE: The 53 pushups was AFTER fatiguing myself with 1A...yet it's still a couple of reps higher than what I did in July. I owe the improvement to the Pause Pushups I've been hitting. This has been a big lesson for me this year...I'm curious to see if I can make similar improvements in pull-ups using this pause method.

Remember, the pause method is a 1-second pause at the top and 1-second pause at the bottom of the move. Interesting times. Would like to hear if anyone else does experiments with this on pushups, pullups or other moves.

Holler back if you do.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
The Law of ACTION Attraction: When you do the work, when you do great things, when you add value, people will notice & will want to help you out.

Develop clarity of purpose. Know what counts. Focus your energy & effort here. This is your one and only chance…so live a life that matters.

Play up a level. Expect more of yourself. Get out of your comfort zone. Add Value. Encourage others. Make an impact.

Surround yourself with positive people. Get rid of the toxic ones in your life. You become whom you associate with.

Indeed,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Gentlemen?

"A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out." George Bernard Shaw

=> http://www.earlytorise.com/what-makes-a-true-gentleman/

No comments: