Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Monday Mooty Workout and Drinking Streak

Flew to Tampa and drove to the gulf coast on Sunday, then I squatted on Monday. That's left me with total body fatigue, tired arms, sore legs, and a tired mooty. Yes, a tired mooty.

Monday's Mooty Mash-Up workout went like this (done at the Clearwater LA Fitness, right beside the Phillies spring training diamond):

1A) Squats
1B) High Box Jumps (good to see I still have decent springs)

2A) Good Mornings
2B) One set of squats to failure with 135 pounds (wussed out at 21 reps)

3A) DB Reverse Lunges
3B) Stretches

That was enough.

Followed up with a visit to Whole Foods. I love that place. I bought a few Epic protein bars, lots of packets of nut butter (pecan, walnut, and coconut butter), some walnuts, supplements, and water.

Don't miss this:
Check out my 12 Rules to Live By interview with my good friend Jason Ferruggia

And now for a...

Streaking Update
It seems I'm 4/5 again. But I think I learned my final lesson. I don't expect to ruin the alcohol streak again. I'm going to get it right this time. I am going to stay strong through the finish.

Here's my update covering my travels from Toronto to New York, a five hour delay in JFK on Sunday, and my first 48 hours down here in Florida...

1) Write 3000 words per day

Today was a HUGE success in overcoming some 'bad' good habits. That's right, you can have good habits that are bad. For example, I have compulsions to post on TTM, Twitter, and other sites too early in the morning. But today I held off and did almost 3 hours of work before I gave in to posting my morning motivational content to all sites.

I pushed some of my routines (like daily document reading) back later...thanks to comments Matt Smith made many months ago...I'm slowly overcoming the compulsion to do non-urgent things in the AM.

This allowed me to edit 30 pages of my book today and write another section on Stephen King's routine.

I'm finally reading his book "On Writing"...and I'm slightly embarrassed that it took me this long to get to it...I delayed because I thought it was a textbook-like 'manual'. It's not. It's his unofficial autobiography and is very entertaining and informative. I just read how his story of Carrie came together...fascinating...and to think that he almost threw it out!

PS - I also invented the word "mooty" ... it will be a feature of Wednesday's TT email.

2) No Post Dinner Binge Eating

I've been staying on track and even eating less at dinner. On Friday night at Peter Luger's steakhouse I took home a doggy-bag of steak and bacon that I didn't feel like eating. That was a big victory in reigning back the unnecessary 'going to bed stuffed' feeling. Plus it made for a great breakfast.

3) 1 Drink Maximum

One celebration drinking session (of 2.5 drinks) stopped my streak here. I learned a valuable lesson. Nearly blew streak #2. So this bad habit will stop and I will finish the remainder of the contest on point. I promise.

4) No Outbursts or Snarkiness

On Sunday morning my flight was scheduled for 8am. My car was scheduled to pick me up at the hotel at 5:45am. The weather was miserable, so I double checked the status of the flight.

On time, said Delta's website.

At 5:40am I received a text. Flight cancelled. (Insert sad Wah-wah-waaahhhhh sound).

It didn't really bother me because I had planned to read and work at the airport anyways. This just meant more reading and working would be done. The time went by quickly. I had a nice smooth flight to Tampa and drive to Joel's house, arriving in time to soak in the hot tub and catch up over dinner.

Monday morning was a great workout at a local LA Fitness and I had patience waiting for the squat rack. Monday night was a great steak and bacon dinner courtesy of @chefgui

Today has been a breakthrough writing day plus I managed a walk and a swim before a late breakfast.

It's hard to be snarky when this is your life!

5) Healthy Gut Days

Everything is going great.

This comes as a surprise to me, but I think my digestive system performs better on a high-protein diet. I can't say for certain yet, but I've been eating more meat than usual and everything is feeling and working great.

While this is bad news for hippies that want everyone to decrease meat intake, it's good news for Chipotle, Debragga.com, The Edge steakhouse in Denver, and Peter Luger's.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
You can change. It's up to you. Your future. Your choice. You must be willing to go after it. You must be willing to do the work and follow in the footsteps of those that have led before you on the path to success.

Keep on experimenting every day to find what works best for you,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Get a better booty...

...or mooty here:

http://www.turbulencetraining.com/booty2015/

No comments: