Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ballantyne Hotel Gym Workout

Now here's a funny workout story for you. I thought this was hilarious. You might not think it's as funny, for obvious reasons, but still, there's a lot to learn from it.

This weekend I'm on my way down to beautiful Asheville, North Carolina, to hang out with my friend Joel Marion (that's funny enough on its own, trust me).

And on my way I decided to make a little detour to, get this, The Ballantyne Hotel just outside of Charlotte.

Apparently it's where Obama stayed during his recent big event, but I'm pretty sure I'm not staying in the same room.

(Clearly, being a Ballantyne, I'd get a better room at The Ballantyne Hotel, right?)

That said, I arrived on Saturday afternoon and went to check out the gym. I ended up talking to a guy that was using the elliptical machine.

"How many calories did you burn?", I asked.

"350 in only 25 minutes," he said with pride.

Inside, I laughed. There's just no way that was accurate.

In fact, a report published by ABC news found that the elliptical machine overestimated calories burnt by 42 percent.

That means he probably burned 250 calories or so.

It's laughable. Hilarious, even.

Besides, slow cardio doesn't even work that well for fat loss.

So stop worrying about calories burned on machines.

Instead, think about what you are getting out of each minute, out of each set, and out of each repetition.

Use Metabolic Resistance Training instead. Here's a video where I give you MRT explained
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMx5b_lQ4Tw

And my workout? Well, today's Ballantyne Meathead workout in the above-average Ballantyne Hotel gym was DB Press, DB Row, DB Incline, pulldowns, db rear delt raise. Great place to visit and stay.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tips:
For every obstacle in your life you must identify at least two solutions to overcome it. If you have a workout scheduling issue, what are at least two ways you can work around it? If you have a nutrition weakness, what are two ways you can beat it? Having more solutions than problems will put you on the fast track to success.

You cannot have self-doubt. You must truly believe in yourself. You must end the "I'll give this a try" mindset, and switch to an, "I'm going to succeed" belief.

How to be what you want to be (one of our most popular articles at ETR)
- http://www.earlytorise.com/how-to-become-what-you-want-to-be-3/

If you are struggling, you might be attempted to make excuses. But…please, don't. Don't waste your energy. Don't invest your emotions in excuses. Instead, take that energy and use it to fuel your continued persistence in making improvements, in overcoming obstacles, and breaking down barriers.

Stay strong,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - The weekend is a great time to consider setting the rules for your life...

...Discover mine, and why you need your own, here
- http://www.earlytorise.com/12-rules/

No comments: