Monday, May 09, 2011

New Workout and Bodyweight Workouts

I'm starting a new 4-week program today. In week 1 I always start with less volume and intensity. It doubles as a deload week and a "practice" week for the new workout.

Today's training:

1A) Bench Press
1B) Seated Row with a 3-second pause with handle at chest

2A) Standing 1-arm cable chest press
2B) Underhand bw row

3A) BW triceps extension
3B) BB shrugs

Perhaps I could take some advice from the legend?

"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." – Bruce Lee

Also had a good Facebook QnA session today at www.TurbulenceTrainingFanpage.com

Q: If I don't have access to heavy weight, can I het to the muscle deep enough for growth... And avoid muscle cannibalism? I notice my muscles getting harder but not bigger.

Answer:

- Yes. Advanced bodyweight training can help you build upper body muscle. If you have access to some weight, single leg exercises will help you for a fairly long time. You won't become the next Dorian Yates, but you'll be able to have more muscle than average. I recommend this complete workout system

=> http://www.turbulencetraining.com/getstarted/

Q: Craig, what should be our rule of thumb when we reach the limits of our equipment? For example, my treadmill only reaches 11.2 mph, but I feel like I can run faster (or keep that pace for longer than 1 minute). Should I add an additional wo...rk interval or increase the speed on the the recovery interval (now at 5.4)? Also, for exercises where we reach our max weight, should we add an extra rep? In this case, I can complete 3 sets of 6 reps at 85 pounds on flat bench and 3 x 6 @ 85 on DB squat with pretty strict form and slow eccentric phases (i.e., 3 second negatives). Finally, if we reach the targeted number on a body weight exercise (e.g., chinups), should we add reps or weight?

Answer:
For intervals, you can run longer and use shorter recovery periods. Yes, you can add reps with the weight. For lower body, switch to single leg . For chins, you can add wt or reps. Thanks. You got your money's worth there.

Kickbutt Mindset Monday Quote:
The more consistent and persistent you are at improving your habits, the easier it will get.

Today's Internet Independence Business Tip

"Know how to delegate." Warren Buffet's Investment Priority #18. Be able to outsource the little things so that you can work on the big $$$-making projects.

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Certified Turbulence Trainer

No comments: