Friday, April 08, 2011

The Working Man's Exercise for Friday

College kids love to do arms on Friday. Well, maybe that's Thursday, before college night at the bars. Perhaps they don't train at all on Friday, or just do bench press again, or shoulders.

But the real man, the working man, does deadlifts on Friday. This is the one exercise that gives you permission to have a cold one. It works your entire body, and there isn't anything that you can do in a gym that is more manly than a deadlift. It's the desk jockey's reconnection to the art of manliness.

And so I had a deadlift workout myself today. Although I must admit, I usually deadlift on Thursday's due to my travel schedule, knowing that I'll be in a hotel gym on most Friday mornings.

Today's Workout:

1) Deadlifts
2) Good Mornings
3) Split Squats

Plus my big warmup before all of that. Good times. Unfortunately, I also watched a trainer have their client do narrow upright rows (ouch) + pushups. Client had sore shoulder after set 2. So they did 3 more sets. Genius.

FB Question of the Day from Troy Kennedy:

Hey Craig, I bought the TT book and was wondering what you recommend. I have been doing the "infomercial workout" for a while. I am in the middle of my 5th round of it. I am in pretty good shape at this point. Which of the TT workouts should I start with? I was looking at either the original TT workout or the 2K6. Whaddya think? I am pretty open to any of them. Thanks!!

Answer:
Hi Troy, thanks. Great to hear and great question. Let's have you start with TT 2K3. Of course, you can use TT 2K6 if you want. That's fine too. I'm just a big fan of TT2K3 and 2K4.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:

Question for you...don't have to answer here...something to think about...ask yourself this every couple of months: "Is the life you're living worth what you're giving up to have it?"...Are you giving up good health? Missing out on time with your family? Giving up a good career b/c of bad lifestyle choices? A simple question...a powerful reality check.

And today's Internet Independence Tip:
"Reward yourself. Having big goals is awesome. But you gotta set smaller "milestone" goals too, goals that you can reach and reward yourself for by doing something cool. And then when we hit that big goal – get yourself that prize. Savor the moment and THEN set the next big goal to achieve." - Bedros Keuilian

Bedros is my favorite Armenian ever. If you're a trainer, check out his personal training business advice

Make time to think and reflect this weekend,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS, CTT
Click here for TT2K3 and TT2K4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig. I used to think the deadlift was some archaic exercise that only big guys with even bigger guts did, but thanks to you and bRoman, it is now my favorite exercise. I'm in my second week of FPFL and am going to get turbulence training immediately after that. I can't wait! Just wanted to say thanks for keeping me informed and motivated with your blog. All the best,
Kyle