Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Renegade Gym & Jersey Trip: Part 1

Just got back from the Jersey Shore...more about that in a minute, but first, let's go back to Monday where I started the day by taking the train from NYC to Jersey. I met up with Jay Ferruggia, the guy I trust the most for training advice.

First stop, Tito's Burritos for a veggie burrito. Then we went for more food at a place called "Food". I have a roasted vegetable salad and Jay had a veggie burger. Now it was time to visit his gym: www.TheRenegadeGym.com (I'm writing this from the front desk right now while a big squat workout is going on.)

Jay has high school athletes and meatheads training every night. It's the best place to train.

Our workout was a big bodyweight warm-up followed by box jumps. Jay has this really cool padded box system that you can add or remove height from...I jumped the entire stack - 48 inches. Jay added a few rubbers mats underneath and jumped 51 inches.

We followed that with Military Press, neutral grip chins, Power Wheel Alligator Pushups, T-bar rows, chain curls, and then I finished with a bunch of ab work (including planks and side planks - the basics). 

Great workout. After our workout, the high schoolers trained, then the meatheads. I'll be posting several key lessons I learned from Jay - including the #1 reason not to train to failure - in a follow up post. 

After the meatheads were done, we went home where Jay's fiance Jen had whipped up an amazing feast for us.

We started with raw vegetables and hummus, plus a plate of peppers and artichokes in olive oil, and then a couple of slices of flatbread pizza. That was followed by kale wraps filled with quinoa, cashew-red pepper sauce, salsa, and avocado. Amazing. And then we had dessert of coconut milk ice cream (cookie dough flavor) and raw almond butter cookies. I think Jen and Jay are going to have a cookbook out soon. They make great vegetarian meals.

On Tuesday, Jay and I drove down to the Jersey Shore (fist pump), where he showed me all the bars that he used to frequent back in the day. Then we threw the football around and even went in the freezing water for a bit. Good times.

Back to Toronto tomorrow,

Craig

 

No comments: