Monday, October 19, 2009

No Nonsense Muscle Building

Every coach needs a coach too, so I decided to stir things up in my latest workout program and get my cardio nemesis, Vince Del Monte to help me put together my latest program. In fact, it's a modified workout from his No Nonsense Muscle Building program.

Vince challenged me to use a little more volume in the workout and to move through my sets faster...overall this might lead to using a little less weight but I was surprised how much I got done at near normal weights...I did all of this in about 47 minutes, resting as little as possible between exercises.

Workout went like this...

1) Power Clean - 3x5

2A) Squat - 2x5, 2x8
2B) DB Incline Press - 3x10

3A) BB RDL - 3x8-12
3B) Plank & Side Plank - 3 sets each

4) Narrow Grip Seated Row - 3x12

5) Chin-ups - 2xMax

This program is 3x's per week.

My weight to start the program was a lowly 179, because unlike most people, I actually lose weight when I travel, and I've been traveling 3 weeks in a row (with 4 more weeks of travel coming up).

I'll be using Vince's programs until December.

I really should be training with a partner on this program, but I can't find anyone to train with on my schedule. After all, recent research (reported in "The Economist" of all places) shows, "...that if you train with others, you can endure more pain. Just one of the reasons the right training partners and training environment are crucial for success.'

Fortunately, I train in a dungeon at the same time as a lot of bodybuilder and hard training steroid freaks, so its a good environment (even though the music is super lame).

Today's workout was an 8/10. I needed to push harder on the power cleans, RDL's, and rowing.

Now to focus on eating.

No nonsense for 8 weeks,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - I just posted a strong opinion on...

...basic "combo" type exercises on the TT Fan Page

=> Click here to see what I think of "combo" exercises

Stick to the basics for maximum results.

3 comments:

Jim Hasselman said...

Good looking workout Craig. Just curious, what goal(s) are you pursuing with this workout?

CSRunner said...

Tried asking this on the Facebook post, but it didnt seem to work. Just wondering, how much weight do you anticipate/hope to gain on this program. Also what will your "diet" be, are you still doing vegetarian or will are you back to being an omnivore?

Stuart said...

Craig,

Quick question regarding the workout. For the squats, does the weight increase, decrease, or stay the same for the 3rd & 4th sets of 8 reps?

Also, how are the handstand pushups coming? I've been stuck a 10 for a while.

Thanks