Thursday, August 20, 2009

How to Increase Your Bench Press

My best bench press ever was 310 pounds at a bodyweight of 180 back in the summer of 2004.I've since let it slip down to about 285, and I've taken a big break from bench pressing while I focus on some cool bodyweight training.

But I still get lots of questions from guys trying to build their bench...like this one:

Q: Craig, My max bench is in the 190´s (85-90kg). Really want to take it to 225. Any suggestions how to?

Answer:
Well, there are a million ways to do it.

First of all, it depends on what you are doing now.

If you had some way to do rack lockouts or board presses, that would help. If you don't, I would start simply with a program that has you doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps for 4 weeks.

Do the rack lockouts or board presses as the first exercise in your program and then follow up with full range dumbbell presses.

I also recommend my friend AJ Robert's new bench program.

AJ is stronger than all of us put together! He's squatted over 1000 pounds and benches well over 550. You can get his new bench press program here:

=> Click here to increase your bench press

A great program if you want to be big and strong,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - Not surprisingly, my bench press program in 2004 looked...

...very similar to the program that AJ has put together here:

=> Click here to build a stronger bench press

And I remember when I put up that 310 pounds back in the tiny gym where I was a trainer in 2004.

Pretty funny to do it there, because all of the clients were older men and women who never, ever used the bench press.But still, it felt great. Dang, I was strong that summer! Let me know how AJ's program helps your bench press.

No comments: