Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The New Weight Loss Diet - Eat-Stop-Eat

This is going to sound crazy, but give him a chance....my friend Brad Pilon wrote a diet book about, get this, fasting. That's right. For 24 hours.

If you have any questions, he will be happy to get back to you, so email Help at EatStopEat.com

I read his book over the weekend. I even did an hour long audio interview with Brad Pilon on his Eat Stop Eat program - TT Members listen here

He makes a case for his plan being as simple as any diet program, and easy to follow. Although I'm sure you don't believe me...so I asked him some more questions here...

CB: Brad, eat-stop-eat. What the heck are you are talking about? I can officially call you crazy now, right?

BP
:
I wasn't lying when I said this was a radical new approach to nutrition!

Honestly, I started my research for Eat Stop Eat after I chose to study "the metabolic effects of intermittent short-term fasting and their potential application in weight loss"during my graduate studies.

(This is just a fancy way of saying I was studying the health benefits of short term fasting for school).

At the same time as I was researching short-term fasting, I was also trying to read all of today's popular diet books (kind of a side project I've had going on for the last year or so).

As I was reading through all of these books I realized that all of these diets were making the same critical mistake - they make their diets too difficult.

They are so complicated that they end up intruding on your everyday life. Skipping family events, avoiding restaurants...who wants to do that for month after month?

Not only that, but they make you feel guilty about every single piece of food that you put in your mouth!

So I decided to design a program based on my area of study, that was easy, flexible, and came with a sense of challenge and accomplishment as opposed to months and months of guilt.


CB: Okay, so you came up with fasting? Isn't that hard to do?

BP
:  
Not at all.

Everyone who has tried Eat Stop Eat has told me that they couldn't believe how easy it was! Even the biggest skeptics ended up telling me that it was way easier than they expected.


CB: What about my metabolism and muscle mass?

BP:

As I explain in my book, I think this whole metabolism thing is a myth!  

From my research I just don't believe that your metabolism will drop just because you haven't eaten in a couple hours. As for muscle, your ability to preserve muscle mass is directly related to your training. If you are weight training while dieting, you won't lose muscle.


CB: Ok, you sound like you have your opinions.

You can read Brad's book at www.eatstopeat.com or if you are a TTMember, listen to his interview.

He makes a good argument,

CB
Brad's interview on TTMembers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think he has his opinions, but is more strict in his thinking and doesn't follow marketing and fitness industry hype claims.