Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Beach Body Building: When to Gain Muscle vs. When to Lose Fat

A lot of guys come to me at this time of the year and want to have 6-pack abs in time for the beach. They are super-focused on losing fat. But they have the wrong focus.

The problem? They have no muscle. So like John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, they are going the wrong way.

In fact, I have a rule when it comes to making the decision about whether or not to build muscle or lose fat. Here it is...

Our baseline measure is: 5'8", 160.

If you are 5'8", and less than 160 pounds (and already in low teen bodyfat percentage), than you are wasting your time trying to lose fat to look good for the beach. You'll just end up a smaller version of yourself, with no appreciable gains in muscle definition.

If you are over 160, then you probably have enough muscle mass to pull off a fat loss program allowing you to look good on the beach.

Taller or shorter than 5'8"?

For every inch shorter, you can subtract 5lbs from the standard. So if you are 5'6", you have to be at least 150lbs before you try to lose fat. If you weigh 145, you'll build a better body by building muscle.

For every inch taller than 5'8", add 5lbs to the standard. 6 feet tall? You need to be 180 before you focus on fat loss.

So before you start worrying about how much cardio to do, and how many calories you need to cut out, make sure you are traveling in the right direction first.

Need to gain muscle? You have two options...

a) A Dumbbell Mass Building Program You Can Do At Home

b) The TT Total Mass Package (it'll keep you big & busy for a long, long time)

Not too fat, not too skinny, but just right - that's how Goldilocks likes them,

CB

PS. Avoid being told to "put your shirt back on" this summer...

"As a former university athlete and personal trainer myself, I have seen many programs claim to add size and strength, speed and power. As a Physical Education teacher, I educate students so that they can make informed decisions about their own health, nutrition and physical development. Busy with work, coaching volleyball, basketball and track and my own continuing education, I've been in a bit of a rut lately with my own training. At 6'6", 230 lb (around 10.5-11% bf), I've struggled to add any size to my physique with a job that has me running with kids all day. Craig's Turbulence Training for Mass has really helped structure what free time I have as efficiently as possible allowing me to get the most out of my workouts. I have added noticeable size in just the first four weeks of the program and look forward to the results of the next twelve. The structure of the program allows me push each body part hard while getting adequate rest. TT for Mass has given me that drive in the gym that I've been missing while floating through maintenance workouts the last four years."

Jason McBride

Read about other mass monsters here...

7 comments:

Friendly Geek said...

Right There with you craig. But I have a doubt.

I am 5 7" and I weigh 137 pounds where I gained 17 lbs after doing TT. I have that mass look even thou according to your stats I am still light.

My question is, I have an extra inch of stomach fat I want to reduce, wat do u suggest? The mass or fat loss? according to my weight and your formula.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Mass, there is no question about that.

CB

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I am sure a lot of people are wondering what is more important. Other are thinking of building muscle even though they don't have enough mass.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good guideline for people follow! I think most people forget that by cutting you aren't always just getting rid of fat but that a lot of times you lose some muscle as well. So you have to have some extra so that you still have some left over when you're done cutting.

Anonymous said...

This is great advice for people who want to build their muscle and especially for those who are just starting with their work out. Most people are not aware of the importance of each.

Anonymous said...

That was a great information, I didn't know that the height and actual weight could be a great factor or has something to do with body building. After reading the entire post, I guess there are tons of people working out for nothing.

komal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.