Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tuesday Workout Filming & Photoshoot

I'm getting a cold.

Started with a little scratch in the back of my throat on Saturday, late
afternoon. Full cough on Sunday. Monday sneezes. Today, that slight dazed
and confused feeling of a head cold.

Still, it hasn't hit me too hard yet. Some big sneezes, though. Not sure
what direction this is going to take.

I'm often asked about working out when people are sick. The general
consensus that you'll read in online articles is...

a) If the symptoms are above the neck (i.e. a cold), you can exercise.

b) If its a flu, don't exercise.

I've read that many times.

And when I was in University, I would always workout no matter how bad off I
was...even if I had a hangover.

Now, I look at it this way:

What will you gain by working out? What will you gain by resting?

It's only one workout. In most cases, just take a rest, get some extra
sleep, and avoid spreading the virus on to someone else. That one workout is
not going to make or break your success. On the other hand, there's no
guarantee that the extra rest will make the illness go away quicker.
Sometimes these things will run the same course no matter what. But at least
by staying home, you don't make your cold (or flu) someone else's problem.

By exercising when sick, we are demonstrating an old-school bodysculpting
approach...that its all about the volume of work, rather than the quality of
work. I'll let you make an adult decision about whether or not the benefits
outweigh the negatives.

Fortunately, I didn't have a full workout planned for today. Instead, we
just filmed all of the 10-minute workout videos to go along with the March
Monthly workout. I should have the manual up tonite.

We also finished up some photos. So at least I was able to get mobile and
get away from a seated posture (definitely a benefit worth getting), and
simply holding some of the positions for the photos helped build some
abdominal endurance and stability.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring,

CB

No comments: