Wednesday, January 03, 2007

8 Metabolism Boosters for Weight Loss

Your metabolism is your fat loss foundation.

It keeps burning and burning fat 24 hours a day...the only problemis, do you have a fast metabolism? And if not, what can you doabout it to boost your metabolism and burn fat to lose weight?

Your metabolism is basically how many calories you burn each day.Children have faster metabolic rates than adults, and we all knowabout the legendary metabolism's of teenage boys.

That's themetabolism you wish you had.

And while it is inevitable that your metabolism decreases with age,it doesn't doom you to gaining weight. It might even decrease 30%over your life, but really, is that any reason to become overweight? No way. Not when you can turn it around with a coupleof simple, proven techniques listed below...

Here are 8 possible metabolic boosters and the truth about whethereach works.

1) Strength training

Claim: Boosts metabolism up to 10% after a training program

True!

In fact, despite what many men and women think, harder exercise isbetter for your metabolism. However, please note that 1 pound ofmuscle does not burn 50 calories per day.

In one study, women received a greater metabolic boost from using 8repetitions per set rather than traditional high-rep (12 reps)sets. So stick to harder exercises (pushups and more advancedbodyweight exercises) or dumbbell exercises.

2) Breakfast

Claim: Because it stops your "fasting", it can boost metabolism

True? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Your metabolism won't go into"starvation mode" without breakfast, but it is associated withsuccessful weight loss. So make it a habit to consume some protein,fiber, & fruit (& even veggies if you can fit them in) at thistime. This will keep your appetite in check till your next break oreven lunch.

3) Green Tea

Claim: Burns an extra 80 calories per day

True? Not really. It has been shown to burn 80 calories per day inyoung men on the first day of supplementation, but will this affectlast once your body gets used to it? I don't think.

After all, take a look at caffeine. You can find studies that showit increases metabolism as well.

But really, is anyone losing fatwith caffeine? The revolving doors at Starbucks say "No!".

Coffee is okay in moderate doses, and I recommend Green Tea toeveryone, but for health reasons, not for fat loss. The only wayyou will lose fat with Green Tea is if you replace a 300+-calorieFrappucino with an iced, unsweetened Green Tea. Otherwise, don'tcount on it for much in terms of metabolism.

4) Fat Burners

Claim: Boost your metabolism big time!

See above. Fat burners are simply caffeine pills with a few otheringredients thrown in. You'll get an increase in mental energy, butthat doesn't mean it will significantly boost metabolism or burnfat.

5) Ice Cold Water with Lemon Juice Squeezed into it

Claim: The body will burn calories warming up the water and thelemon juice also burns more fat.

Truth?

Nice in theory, short in practice. Nobody is losing fat withice cold water. If it sounds too good to be true - you know therest of the story.

6) Eating 6 small meals per day

Claim: Boosts metabolism and can help control cholesterol.

True! Simple and effective, and true! Try and split your meals upinto smaller meals that can be eaten over the course of the day.This might be part of the breakfast magic...

7) Protein

Claim: Burns more calories (uses more calories in digestion than carbohydrates or fat).

True!

Now I'm not sure if this is significant, but protein also helpsfill you up longer. And that's where the real benefit comes in -preventing overeating. And if you want details, another studyshowed that animal protein results in more energy burned thanvegetable protein.

8- Interval training

Claim: Interval training causes a greater increase in post-exercisemetabolism than regular cardio.

I certainly believe it.

And I do know this. A recent study from Australia found that ashorter interval program led to more weight loss than atwice-as-long aerobic training program. This confirms the originalinterval training study from as far back as 1994 that showedgreater results from a shorter interval program when compared to atraditional cardio program.

Bottom line: Intervals work!

So we see that hard work and diligent eating burn more calories andthat magic pills and potions don't work.

But that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. My advice? Addstrength, intervals, mini-meals, and protein to your weight lossplan and you'll be leaner and warmer thanks to your fastermetabolism.

Visit http://www.turbulencetraining.com/ to start firing upyour metabolism today.

Turbulence Training was built to boost your metabolism,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Author, Turbulence Training

P.S. It worked for these folks!
"I Coach busy women with no time to look in the mirror, let aloneadopt a whole foods lifestyle or exercise yet already! And yet,your Turbulence strategies show almost everyone that everyone hasall of the time they'll ever need to include exercise as a fun,performance-promotion essential to their lives. This program isamazing and plenty challenging because it is simple. Clear but letsno one off the hook. I'm thrilled to say this is a great additionto any woman's arsenal of "what to do" or "what to look forwardto."
Ann G. Burgess, President, Pathfinders' Fitness by Design,Arlington , MA

Visit http://www.turbulencetraining.com/ for fat loss today.

"I have been in possession of TT for a several weeks now; Iabsolutely enjoy the program. I can get in to the gym and ripthough the supersets work up a great sweat and pump my energylevels up before I even get to the cardio portion of my work-out.I have recommended this program to both beginner and veteran alike.Since starting TT I have dropped almost 2% of body fat and lookforward to making my goal of 10% body fat in no time. This programis absolutely one of the best anywhere on the Web."
Alejandro B. Villalobos, CA

"In November of 2005, I noticed that I had put on a significantamount of weight. I had avoided getting on the scale b/c I wasafraid to see how bad the # was.
With my job, I had many client lunches/dinners frequently and Iwasn't taking into the consideration of how much it was impactingmy weight.
I was still working out, but didn't have a solid program that Icommitted to. I went to the gym when I had time.
When I finally got on the scale I noticed that my weight hit an alltime high of 228lbs!!! Not good, when I know my optimal weight formy frame is 210lbs.
The last 3 months I committed to Turbulence Training and made somemodifications to my diet outlined in the TT program. What I realizedis that the workouts were more intense, I burned more calories andI made it out of the gym in less time then I previously did. Thisworked well for my busy schedule and it was simple to commit tothis program.
After a 3 month commitment, I am happy to say I am now back at210lbs and feel better then I have in years. All thanks to the TTprogram. I have tried many programs and this is the most effectiveand simple program I have ever used.
I recommend to anyone that faces the same busy work/personal lifethat I do."
Dion Guerin, Sales, Toronto

Visit http://www.turbulencetraining.com/ for fat loss today.

No comments: