Thursday, December 28, 2006

Thursday Workout

I remember the first time I bench pressed way back in the early 90's. It was at the same YMCA that I trained at today.

And after that virgin bench press session I remembered barely being able to lift my arms up to the steering wheel, thats how fatigued and pumped up my chest was. Good times.

I was thinking about that session today while I trained and watched some young 15-year old punks gathered round the bench press. To their credit, they stuck with the bar and didn't add weight - they were actually working on controlling the bar before they tried to lift heavier. Someone has taught them well.

I also recognized a few guys in the weight room from back in the day when I first started...and to be honest, they haven't aged well. I'm talking about some of the old-school bodybuilders that amused me 15 years ago with their "straight outta M&F magazine lifestyles".

The sad thing was, it looked like they continued to eat like hardcore bodybuilders but failed to do the training that went along with it. It was kind of sad, and worse to watch them do behind the neck pulldowns and other old-school bodybuilding moves.

Oh well. Hopefully they find a better source of training info someday soon.

And then there were the rows and rows of cardio equipment, with lots of people on them, no doubt with the mindset of "burning off holiday calories" by doing endless amounts of cardio.

I hate that mindset. Its just a slippery slope away from exercise bulemia - where people do endless, unhealthy amounts of exercise to justify every calorie they eat.

I'm worried about one of the girls that was there...she looked awfully thin and spent my entire 40 minute workout on the elliptical machine, and she sure didn't look like she was going anywhere anytime soon.

Again, all I can do is hope they find something better to rely on than endless cardio. But I'm not going to shove my info down their throats.

So back to my workout, I supersetted...

1A) Barbell Reverse Lunges
1B) DB rows

2A) More reverse lunges
2B) Barbell Rows

With my methods, you build your body up. With endless cardio, you break your body down.

I'm sure my methods are winning now and are going to win in the end,

CB

No comments: