Friday, September 08, 2006

More Interval Workout Info

Interval Workout

Thanks for all of your questions and comments about the recent interval article. One particular email from a reader came in with some great questions that I thought would be applicable to many of you.

Q: I wondered if you have tried kettlebell training and where it would fit on your ranking list. Specifically the ballistic movements like kettlebell swings, cleans and snatches.

Answer:
This would rank very high. Right up there with bodyweight intervals and strongman training.

Q: I can't do some of the bodyweight exercises due to a shoulder/neck injury and my knees don't allow me to run/sprint on a frequent basis. It seems to me like kettlebell ballistic sets would be a good substitution for my intervals, but the question I have is just how good would they be.

Answer:
The kettlebells would be very good, I assure you, provided you use good form and the appropriate load.

An appropriate load means: One that tires you out after 30-60 seconds of work but will not lead to significant soreness the next day.

That's the same way to pick bodyweight exercises for one's interval training.

The exercise should challenge you metabolically, but not on a maximum strength level. If it's too hard in terms of strength, you will end up sore the next day.

No matter what method you choose for intervals, it should NOT leave you sore.

Q: I've recently started doing this (kettlebells), combined with active rests between intervals in which I do low-exertion bounces on a mini-trampoline. What do you think about this training protocol and it's likely effectiveness for fat burning?

Answer:
It will work nearly as well as anything else. You are on the right track.

It's all about intense exercise and performing a large amount of mechanical work in a short amount of time.

Q: Also, what about high rep squats with relatively light weights for intervals? This involve use of the large body muscles plus it certainly has a perceived high level of exertion, but does this equate to being an effective fat burner?

Answer:
This is good...with the only consideration being, as I mentioned above:

Make sure it doesn't cause too much soreness so as to interfere with the remainder of your workouts in your training week.

Q: This leads me to my last question. Can you use perceived level of exertion as a good indicator of fat burning potential? That is, would an exercise that leaves you really gassed also be near the top of the list for fat burning?

I know the answer is yes for sprints and this also seems to hold true for the list of exercise types in your email - the perceived exertion level decreases as you go down the list. Do you agree?

Answer:
Yes, the perceived exertion decreases as we go down the list...

Now, the key thing to consider is this...the high-intensity exertion increases fat burning in the period OUTSIDE of the training session...in the hours (and perhaps days) after the workout.

Therefore, that's why we aim for a perceived exertion rate of 8 or 9 out of 10 during the session...and we forget about the fat burning zone that others contend is critical for fat loss.

Instead, focusing on getting as much work done as possible in a short amount of time (SAFELY & APPROPRIATELY FOR YOUR FITNESS LEVEL OF COURSE) to deplete the muscle of energy substrates.

Then, in the post-workout period, as the muscles replenish the energy substrates (i.e. convert glucose into glycogen) and repair the protein breakdown (i.e. a process called protein turnover), this uses A LOT of energy...and that's why the post-exercise metabolism is so high.

That's why you have afterburn. The more turbulence you have, the more afterburn you have.

The more and harder you work in your intervals, the more calories and fat are burned after exercise.

That's how Turbulence Training works.

Et voila, a better body and improved physical conditioning,

CB

P.S. Do you want more advanced training articles & workouts?

Please let me know if you want me to get more advanced. If you are really hungry for more advanced info, you should become a TT Member and read my advanced training article series, as well as studying all of my advanced fat loss manuals.

"I am shocked at how effective TT really is. I've been working out on and off for years using various programs and this so far is the winner in terms of max results in min time. I even started out with the Beginner program, a little unsure as to how effective it would be since I thought maybe I should start with the Orig TT program. Regardless, I'm now half way through Intermediate and I'm a dress size smaller. The only tweaking I had to do was with diet (lowered my cals) b/c of thyroid medication. Thanks Craig!"
S. Bates

Click here to get your Membership today.

(Or email me for your preferred customer discount).

No comments: