Thursday, August 24, 2006

Trip to the Doctor

Had the best possible doctors visit this morning...Not only did he see me early, but he shipped me out with a bill of perfect health. Although that should be expected, of course, considering what I do.

Of interest, check out the additional blood measures I had done last year:

If you are over 30, you should definitely have a physical examination, and then reschedule every few years.

And get some blood work done too.

So I left the doctor's office feeling pretty good, and as I drove home, an overweight 8-year old boy wandered onto the road about 50 meters in front of me and slowly made his way across the street.

Oddly enough, he was carrying a large coffee.

Let's assume he was taking that home for someone.

Now he was in no danger of getting hit by my car...but I tell ya, he's in a lot of danger healthwise.
He was probalby obese, not just overweight.

Its a shame when a 31-year old man is healthier than most 8-year old kids.

Heck, at this rate, I'll probably outlive that kid. I'll probably outlive most kids 2 generations younger than me.

That kid's parents have given him an early death sentence by allowing him to be so overweight at such a young age.

Here's some of the latest info from the Harvard Public Schoool of Health:

"Over the 22-year study period, the observed prevalence of
overweight increased from 6.3% to 10.0% and at-risk-for-overweight increased
from 11.1% to 14.4%. These increases were evident among all groups of
children including infants. "

Everyone knew that kids were getting fatter, but who knew that babies were getting fatter?

Child obesity is the parent's fault.

Good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle must start from day 1. Or better yet, 9 months before day 1. And even better, years before a parent decides to have children.

CB

2 comments:

Melissa S. Green said...

Yes even in the womb! My mother had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with me, & turns out that probably means I was insulin resistant even in the womb, & certainly had a predisposition for insulin resistance once I was born.

Now, at 47, I'm working to become more insulin sensitive through an overhauled diet & exercise. 2-1/2 inches off my waist so far (& 20 lbs. of scale weight, with better muscles), with perhaps twice again that much to go; now optimizing with Turbulence Training & John Berardi's Precision Nutrition program, which I found as a result of your blog. Thanks!

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Congratulations...keep training safe and strong, and eating right!

Keep on with the Turbulence Training lifestyle.

CB