Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Mile Part 4


I caught a break in the action late Tuesday and was able to slip out to do another mile training session...I didn't have a lot of time, but I did:
  • Two x 3-minute intervals at 10.0 mph
  • Separated by 90 seconds of rest.
Interestingly, my legs didn't get tired...the fatigue was felt more in my heart and lungs.

That would indicate that my ability to run a faster mile is limited by what is known as "central factors" (delivery of oxygen to the tissues).

Contrast that with the training results of Adam Campbell over at Mens' Health - see his post here and his plan here

Adam is fatiguing in the legs - that is peripheral fatigue - and relates to oxygen extraction at the muscle level and oxygen utilization. He is even training to focus on this limitation.

Now there are two explanations for the differences between Adam and myself

1) Adam's run is harder, b/c he is doing it outside on the road, while I'm using a treadmill (could that make it easier on my legs -possibly).

2) Individual physiology.

I dunno.

Whichever, it makes for an interesting comparison.

CB

No comments: